[oi-dev] dlc-origin (rsync) EOL?

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Fri Jul 30 14:43:54 UTC 2021

Hi Till,

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 10:46:40AM -0300, Till Wegmueller wrote:
> I am afraid you have to migrate. What are the benefits of having rsync for
> you? If i know what the idea is, I can see if we get something similar on
> the New Infrastructure.

I used to use the dlc-origin rsync server as a source for my local
mirror copy.  After many years I do mirroring of various repos (various
linux distros, OI, etc) I found that rsync is far far better than either
http(s) or ftp as a mirror source.

That said, the OI ISO rsync server is not critical for me, but it is
really nice to have.  OTOH, if there is no other way I can more or less
easily switch to https://dlc.openindiana.org/ as my mirror source
(although ftp would be better than http(s), but AFAIK there is no ftp
for OI ISOs).

Thanks.