[oi-dev] Hipster 2020.10 text installer ISO Wow!!!!

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 23:25:13 UTC 2021

I'll try pstack core. It's not something I'm familiar with. I'm used to using the regular debuggers, but maybe it will work when dbx won't and gdb isn't available.

There is the minor issue of cooperation from the developers. I got *none* when I set up to fix things previously. Not so much as a single answer to a simple question. Didn't make me feel very wanted after I'd spent some 10-20 hours getting the build system running to not get an answer for how to install it for testing. The little documentation that did exist was rather ambiguous. I've not looked since.

I'm a scientist who programs, not a programmer or a sys admin. I know operating systems and low level hardware very well, but there is constant churn of features and new names and jargon. As I'm the sole user now, I don't put the time into keeping up with features I did when I was working. When I left my last contract at a super major oil company I was told I had the last Sun system in service in the company. It was all IBM Linux boxes. I was running Linux briefly at home, but kept coming home to find the X server locked up. So I bought an Ultra 20 with a 3 year gold support contract. Shortly after that the guy next to me had his IBM Linux box do exactly what had prompted me to buy the Ultra 20. The only cure the IT department had was to reboot the machine when that happened. Not the way I've ever been willing to accept. My personal at work system ran for over a year between reboots.

I'm retired and I already put in a lot of years fixing other people's bugs. I like to play guitar, play with electronics and machine tools and other stuff. I'll certainly be glad to fix things that cause me trouble. The disk label mess is a prime candidate. But even at my old day rates I'm not interested in spending a lot of time fixing other people's problems. But it's as easy to fix a bug as it is to do a work around, so if it causes me problems I am willing to fix it. But I need some cooperation. Seven or eight years ago I got none.

When I get the disk label fiasco sorted out we can discuss rebuilding my Ultra 20 OI build system. I don't need or want a bunch of hand holding, but I also don't want to guess which search engine result is correct.

Thanks again for your help.

Have Fun!
Reg