[oi-dev] No module named 'pkg'

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 9 02:25:33 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 08:38:40PM +0100, Klaus Ziegler wrote:

> I've been able to compile python3.5 on SPARC and wanted to decom
> my workaround for building packages in oi-userland, unfortunately
>
> gmake pre-publish still tells me:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/ws/klausz/oi-userland/tools/userland-mangler", line 38, in <module>
>     import pkg.fmri
> ImportError: No module named 'pkg'
>
> can anybody tell me where and what module I have to build to be able to use
> python3.5 to build packages, I hope it's not in the illumos-gate :-(

You are dealing with a circular dependancy of the worst kind.  I had a
similar problem building pkg with python-2.7 .  My solution was to
build both python and pkg in /opt first.  The source for pkg is
available here:

    https://hg.java.net/hg/ips~pkg-gate

You need mercurial to obtain it.  The big clue is that packages are
not actually looking for other packages.  They are only looking for
files or directories contained in those packages.  In this case, it's
looking for a directory under python's vendor-packages directory.

Once I had both python and pkg installed in /opt, I could use that pkg
command to publish the python and pkg packages.  Then, I could install
both packages.  The rest was easy.