[oi-dev] Virtual address space and Firefox

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Sat Mar 13 07:58:08 UTC 2021

On building FF for OI I run in core dumps.

It seems that this are raised by MOZ_ASSERTION because the JS-engine (spidermonkey) expects that addresses for JS Values are not in the upper memory area:

ptr must be a valid user-mode pointer, with the top 16 bits clear

The ptr is for example 0xfffffbffef120fb0
so the address is too high in this case. pmap shows the related range as mmap allocated area (anonymous)
Related the assertions there was a change in FF68.2

In solaris-userland Oracle has placed a patch but only for Sparc: sparc-47bit-VA-space.patch
This use a mapfile with
RESERVE_SEGMENT spidermonkey_reserve {
 VADDR = 0x800000000000;
 SIZE = 0xffff7fffffff0000;
};
Illumos ld don't know the option RESERVE_SEGMENT, but it is for Sparc how I already stated.

Do IllumOS use the whole 64bit address space and not only the expected 47bit? Or I am completly wrong here in the maze of physical and virtual address spaces?
--
Carsten