[oi-dev] Obstacle to GPT label boot?

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Fri Mar 19 07:04:08 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 08:17:44AM +0200, Toomas Soome via oi-dev wrote:
> root at beastie:/code/illumos-gate# zpool status rpool
>   pool: rpool
>  state: ONLINE
>   scan: resilvered 1,68T in 0 days 10:10:07 with 0 errors on Fri Oct 25 05:05:34 2019
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
>           raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             c3t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>             c3t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors

What is the slice layout at those disks?  Is it one small EFI boot slice
(pcfs) + one big slice covering the rest of the disk and used for rpool?
If I'm not mistaken this is the default layout created by the OI
installer when installed on GPT/EFI disk (without MBR).

Is there a way to install OI on a GPT disk in a slice not covering the
whole disk?

> I can tell, this system does boot just fine with both UEFI and BIOS firmware.

Legacy BIOS?  Is your system really able to boot in legacy BIOS mode
with the rpool as outlined above?

Thanks.