[oi-dev] Obstacle to GPT label boot?

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Fri Mar 19 08:17:14 UTC 2021

> On 19. Mar 2021, at 09:53, Marcel Telka <marcel at telka.sk> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 09:34:01AM +0200, Toomas Soome wrote:
>
> [...snip...]
>
> Thanks for all those commands and references!
>

>> To install on slice, you would need to select GPT partitioning and
>> *not* select whole disk setup. However, I have not used OI installer
>> for a long time, therefore I can not recall what exactly are on those
>> screens:D Also it is very likely, some improvements can be made there
>> (like for >2TB disks we should only offer GPT).
>
> IIRC, this is not possible with Hipster 2020.10 installer.

hm. then it needs to be fixed.

>> Yes, this BIOS does see all 4 disks, therefore I can boot from this
>> rpool. We have been able to do this since loader was integrated.. hm,
>> log is telling…
>
> Then it must be just my stupid BIOS that does not allow me to boot from
> NVMe when I try legacy BIOS boot :-(.

this is often the case, same with vmware fusion VM; also, if the device is having 4kn (4k logical/physical) sector size, then it is quite probable, the BIOS will not allow booting from it, and our pmbr.s code does not support 4kn either - without actual test system, I see no point:)

from practical point of view, NVMe boot is possible with UEFI.

rgds,
toomas