[oi-dev] Obstacle to GPT label boot?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 15:42:46 UTC 2021

In fact the text installer ISO *will* install 2020.10 to an existing s0 slice in an EFI label. Because of the white on pale turquoise text I did not see the "Select existing pool" option which is located where F3_back is typically. Of course, the text install disk doesn't provide X. So some additional work required. A "pkg install lightdm" has been spinning for some time because of the delays imposed by flashing the entire line of progress text. I'm hoping that will drag in X, but we shall see.

The frustration and general misery that the "artistic" choice of white on pale turquoise text has caused me is incredible. Days of time. Long very miserable days.

I've had 2 retinal detachments, 3 cataract surgeries and a YAG capsulectomy. To add to the fun I have open angle glaucoma and wet and dry macular degeneration. I'm in a horse race between going blind and dying of cancer and very much hoping dying comes first. I have paid out of pocket in excess of $40,000 to be able to see at all. I consider that the best money I ever spent because if I had been born much earlier I'd have been totally blind at 55 or 56.

I routinely tell ophthalmologists, "If you can guarantee I can see, you can have *all* my money." Unfortunately, no one can do that.

The GPT label boot works as Toomas has asserted. At present I don't see any need for work on that.

I shall clone the OI repository and take a look at the installers.

Reg