[oi-dev] Fw: Re: What is the equivalent for GNU ld's --export-dynamic?

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Thu Mar 25 11:17:28 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Thursday, March 25, 2021 4:38 PM, Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com wrote:
>
> > How did you test the library? are you sure it is fault of linker and not the code? running the app and getting no output does only prove that there is a problem, bit it does not identify the problem.
> > If that library is working on FreeBSD, it means the FreeBSD port is done correctly, it does not tell you anything about illumos port because building on FreeBSD does not tell anything about illumos.
> > rgds,
> > toomas

Perhaps the FreeBASIC forum thread is too long and confusing. There are two guys tested on FreeBSD: me and another guy. First, the guy ported FreeBASIC to FreeBSD/PowerPC and failed to compile the code, so he seek for help. Second, I come to help him by testing compiling the code on FreeBSD/x86_64, a more matured port. This turned out the problem with strings is his port specific, since PowerPC is Big Endian and the code was written with Little Endian in mind. Later he switched to the Little Endian version of PowerPC. The next problem diagnosed by us is the missing of the crt headers for FreeBSD in general, both PowerPC/LE and x86_64.

I always work on the Solaris port. I did compile the code on OpenIndiana and test on OpenIndiana. Don't treat me as a fool or fraud, I will not bring a FreeBSD problem to discuss here.

How did I test the library? The VisualFBEditor IDE was based on MyFbFramework from the same author. I compile MyFbFramework into a shared library and VisualFBEditor will load this library on startup. The library will be loaded dynamically, it was not linked with the binary VisualFBEditor_gtk3 itself. This is the reason why now I think it's more likely the side effect when I removed --export-dynamic more than the Linux crt headers being incompatible with OpenIndiana.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.