[oi-dev] shell/ksh93

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 30 17:57:11 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 05:53:00PM +0200, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:

> I think there is no need to do bulk conversion of OpenIndiana
> packages, due to the change (the commit
> c063eb990f530561e469b3c1e4bb64230456c0da in illumos-gate).

> Older versions of packages that depend on SUNWcs (core solaris or
> core system) continue to work fine.

> New versions of packages can modify their manifest and Makefile and
> require pkg:/shell/ksh93.

This analysis seems correct, at least for installed systems.  We do
have to think about updates to installed systems, new installations,
and the build system, however.

As long as the ksh package is a dependancy of another package that is
always installed, it will always be installed as well.  That situation
should be fine for updates and new installations.

Certainly the OI build system will be affected.  I'm assuming that
this system only rebuilds packages when something in them has changed.
So, some of those packages will fail to build, because they do not
have the new ksh package in the REQUIRED_PACKAGES gmake variable.  The
easiest course might be to fix the Makefile of various packages as the
rebuild breaks.  An alternative might be to identify the packages and
fix them in advance, so that the rebuild succeeds.  I don't think that
a permanent global fix is possible for the build system.