[oi-dev] shell/ksh93

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Wed Mar 31 10:29:05 UTC 2021

----- Op 30 mar 2021 om 19:57 schreef gary mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm:

> We do
> have to think about updates to installed systems, new installations,
> and the build system, however.

Right, that's true, and it's a huge amount of work I think,
to prepare media (ISO/USB) for https://www.openindiana.org/download/

The package shell/ksh93 will move into the Live DVD/Minimal Install/Text Install images.
Huge amount of testing/work ...

I admit that I have a kind of narrow vision on this, e.g.
from a squeak / Smalltalk package point of view, I don't mind the change whether squeak
depends on SUNWcs or shell/ksh93,  I just am OK with whatever "pkgdepend resolve" figures out.

However from what I can see (impact of this change on squeak) it's not really required,
to change everything at once.

I am under the impression that one can ship shell/ksh93,
and that *some* packages can have their dependency updated to require shell/ksh93,
but that most packages (or other packages) simply don't have to be rebuilt.

I may be wrong on this ...  but in any case as Gary Mills points out,
there is definitely a big impact on "new installations" for example (which I didn't test).

Alltogether I'm under the impression that the split ksh93 from core system, is a good change and an improvement I'd appreciate.

David Stes