[oi-dev] Upgrade of gdb to 8.0 and python 3.7

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed May 19 21:43:34 UTC 2021

This message is just to inform the OI developers that I'm working on
gdb now.  It will be a version upgrade from 7.10.1 to 8.0 and a python
upgrade from 2.7 to 3.7 .  Gdb version 8.0 is the Oracle Solaris
freeware version, used in the current Solaris.  I know that the
current gdb version is 10.2, but 8.0 comes with a set of patches that
are known to work with Solaris, and will likely work with OI.

Note that the gdb presently included with OI has 63 patches.  I'm not
about to review all of those.  Version 8.0 has only eight patches.
All of them seem to work.

All I have to do before creating a PR is to do a bit of testing with
the new gdb.  The important thing is to remove the current dependancy
on python-2, so we can get rid of that version of python.  I also
intend to try some more recent versions of gdb to see if they also
work with the Solaris patches.