[oi-dev] OI Foundation

John Howard echosoft.llc at gmail.com
Fri May 28 02:44:50 UTC 2021

Might I suggest the OpenSolaris brand that Oracle seems to be
exterminating.  The fact people cannot use the brand Unix to identify a
Linux distro further isolates the spread of Unix.  FreeBSD and OpenSolaris
derivatives are essentially the only Unix systems.  MacOS is from FreeBSD
but it is not popularized as a Unix.

OpenSolaris is the origin of OI and Illumos.  Illumos Foundation
surprisingly does not exist.  The purpose of a Foundation is to enable
unifying support for a brand product.  The first step is owning the brand
name for products.

Project OpenIndiana is not a brand name that makes sense.  I still see no
connection to Indiana.  When the general public thinks of Ada, it is not
the computer language but a group of dentists.