[oi-dev] I'd like to help out.

James Madgwick james at madgwick.xyz
Sun May 30 19:19:49 UTC 2021

On Fri, 28 May 2021 10:30:14 -0700
Chris <oidev at sunos.info> wrote:

> The docs -- their various locations && inconsistencies, has been a
> *huge* peav of mine. I'd *love* to attack that problem.

The main problem I can see is there's documentation split across the
Wiki and the Docs. Having two separate places for a small project like
OI doesn't seem efficient.

> I can easily script out /all/ the (HTML/CSS) tags from the
> documents. Making them all plain text.

There's no need to do that now. The Docs are mostly markdown already.
Mkdocs only uses a extra few HTML tags for drawing certain icons and
boxes. The problem was that sometimes HTML had been used instead of
markdown (i.e. <b>Bold</b> instead of **Bold**) when the pages were
written.

I've now gone through the pages and corrected most instances of this
(see below). A few pages, mostly those in docs/books, will need to be
rewritten as they use lists inside a table which is not proper markdown
and cannot be converted to PDF with Pandoc.

Andreas has already merged my changes. These consist of a fix to
replace HTML with markdown in various docs and a complete reworking of
the PDF conversion script - it can now recognize mkdocs divs, draw
boxes, images, creates tables of contents etc.

For anyone who is interested, there's a PDF copy of the 'getting
started' page of the Handbook here:
(https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-docs/files/6566753/getting-started.pdf).

I tried to send this email with the PDF as an attachment earlier, but it
didn't seem to get through?

--
Regards,
James