[oi-dev] libxml2 mapfile and symbol removal

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sun Nov 14 08:41:23 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] libxml2 mapfile and symbol removal, Andreas...:

>> At a minimum, that likely means that nearly everything that depends
>> upon libxml2 will need a rebuild.
> Yes, if we are lucky all the existing packages will build with the newer
> versions. But in our world you should expect breakages.
> We have similar situations with other libraries, too. In my experience
> you'll need to start the endeavor and find out what really breaks.
> With that information we can decide whether it's worth to update. You'll
> need to be prepared that it might take some time and efforts, though.

Understood.  I'll reach out probably on this list if I run into
major issues.

>> My question is about what should be done to the mapfile we use with
>> libxml2.  Most of these symbols are marked "global" at
>>
>>     SYMBOL_VERSION SUNW_1.6 {
>>
>> Do I just comment them out of that block, or is there some other better
>> way to handle these now-removed symbols?
>
> Sorry, I am not experienced enough to answer this question. The Solaris
> "Linker and Libraries Guide" might have an answer for you.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.  I'm expecting that the guide is
going to suggest that one should never do what the libxml2 developers did,
but it's still worth my time to review the guide.

Based on how upstream handled the change, I get the feeling that the
"xmlregexp" interface was either little-used or long-deprecated.  I'm
at least a little hopeful that nothing we package was using the interface,
but I won't know until I'm able to start dependent rebuilds.

Thanks,

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)