[oi-dev] What changed between glib versions?

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Tue Apr 5 15:12:41 UTC 2022

Hi Gary,

I think the most difficult thing is to setup a development system (build system) to further test this issue (which is now fortunately solved - for the moment - by the rollback of the glib2 version to 2.62).

So that all tools like 'eject' and 'rmmount' and hal and dbus, and media-volume-manager (rmvolmgr) can be built with some debug info.

I am not very familiar with dbus and hal but a good overview is at :

 https://iks.cs.ovgu.de/~elkner/s11/rmmount.html

Right now thanks to the 'rollback' or downgrade of glib2 to glib 2.62  the automount of USB devices works fine.

On my OpenIndiana system, if I insert a USB device and monitor it with :

   $ dbus-monitor --session --profile | grep RemoteVolumeMonitor

I see events on the dbus-monitor output like :

   1.  DriveConnected
   2.  DriveChanged
   3.  VolumeAdded
   4.  VolumeMount
   5.  VolumeChanged
   6.  MountAdded

If a build system with glib2 and debug info is setup by someone then perhaps it is possible to figure out where the "DriveConnected" is happening when the USB removable drive is added.

The issue is important I think for users of OpenIndiana who use USB keyboard/mouse as obviously it is not funny if you loose keyboard or mouse access via USB because of this issue ...

Anyway I am not really hit by this issue as I use PS/2 mouse/keyboard and because I am not familiar with the dbus/hal/rmvolmgr code my help is minimal I'm afraid, I'm glad to test out future updates on my system ...

Regards,
David Stes