[oi-dev] /usr/libexec/dovecot/anvil crashes immediately

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 22:48:29 UTC 2022

Hello

A quick quote I want to have people keep in mind from the epoll manpage
'man epoll'

tl;dr epool is for compatibility purposes it is not intended as a full
features replacement. Please do not use it if possible. It works but
there will be dragons.

```
The epoll facility is implemented for purposes of offering
        compatibility to and portability of Linux-borne applications; native
        applications should continue to prefer using event ports via the
        port_create(3C), port_associate(3C) and port_getn(3C)
interfaces.  In
        particular, use of epoll in a multithreaded environment is
fraught with
        peril; even when using EPOLLONESHOT for one-shot events, there
are race
        conditions with respect to close(2) that are unresolvable.  (For
more
        details, see the aborted effort in Linux to resolve this via the
        proposed EPOLL_CTL_DISABLE operation.)  The event port facility
-- like
        the BSD kqueue facility that inspired it -- is designed to deal with
        such issues via explicit event source dissociation.
```

Greetings
Till