[oi-dev] clamav update

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Jan 11 20:15:14 UTC 2022

In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] clamav update, Friedrich Kink via oi-dev said...:

> But maybe this code page is simply not supported by openindiana because I
> tried to play around with iconv, too (it seems there is nothing similar to
> JAPANESE_SHIFT_JIS) :

I just ran into this a couple weeks ago with a different test suite.
Based on how I read iconv_unicode(5) (and iconv(5), for non unicode),
OI's iconv has a limited set of supported conversions.

The tables in iconv_unicode(5) list "SJIS", though, which is the alias
OI uses, so in theory it should be possible to go from UTF-8 to SJIS.

That it's not showing up in the output from iconv -l has me wondering if
it's the case of a missing package.  My guess is there should be a module
somewhere in /usr/lib/iconv/ that has "SJIS" (or perhaps some variant of
Kanji, since that's listed as the name, and SJIS is apparently the alias?)
somewhere in its name.

Note the 'eucJP' does show up in the iconv output, and that is an
alternate (incompatible) pre-Unicode encoding.

This page has a lot of good info on the various encodings for Japan:

 	https://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/encodings.html

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)