[oi-dev] OI package build process

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 22 18:23:49 UTC 2022

I need a bit more information about the process that the OI build
server uses.

I know, of course, that the "download" target is intended to download
a source archive into a cache, the "unpack" target is intended to
unpack the archive into a directory within the component directory,
and that the "build" target is intended to compile the source files.

I'm attempting to develop a package for zrepl, another backup system
for ZFS.  Zrepl is written in the GO language.  Like other GO
applications, the "build" target downloads a large number of source
files (aka GO modules) from various Internet sites before it does the
actual compile.  This is how GO resolves references to other GO
modules.  Is this behavior likely to be a problem for the OI build
process?

I may be able to move GO's download to the "unpack" target.  It will
still downoad many files.  There still isn't a cache.  Will this
change offer any improvement to the OI build process?