[oi-dev] CLONEY_MODE

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:42:15 UTC 2022

Was: [oi-dev] problems publishing rust

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 1:37 PM Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> We now have support for CLONEY_MODE=hardlinks and CLONEY_MODE=copy in
> the makefiles
>
> Would be a good chance to test those.
>
> Alternatively COMPONENT_COPY_ACTION would be the proper variable to
> override instead of COMPONENT_PRE_CONFIGURE_ACTION
>
> Greetings
> Till

I'd just like to remind people that the whole CLONEY thing is a
work-around for autoconfigure bugs.  You're not supposed to have to
clone the source like that.
The normal way to get separate builds is eg.
Unpack the src in (let's say) ./source
Create a build1 sibling, and run autoconf like this:
mkdir build1 ; cd ./build1 ; ../source/cofigure options...
And you can do that again with build2, and potentially different
configure options.

Yes, there are lots of packages were this doesn't quite work, due to
incorrect assumptions about how to set include path args etc, but a
lot DO work that way.
If you're adventurous, you might even consider fixing the autoconf bugs...
and improve the package.