[oi-dev] Mount of USB stick now succeeds

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Wed Mar 30 17:41:58 UTC 2022

Sorry to report bad news but

https://www.illumos.org/issues/14226 is updated again to report that is now NOT working any longer for me ... with

# pkg list glib2
NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO
library/glib2                                     2.70.0-2022.0.0.0          i--

On the Dell Precision 3640 Tower with xhci driver.

The old solution of restarting hal still works for me.

I'm using PS/2 keyboard and mouse on the system (PS/2 without hotplug obviously) so I'm not using USB for keyboard and mouse and I'm not so much affected by this issue, but 14226 also is linked to some users who report hotplug keyboard/mouse issues with USB.

I should link the issue 14226 also to http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/community/quikstor/ which claims hal has some difficulties with RDX Quikstor and suggestions there to "Debugging issues with eject and hal" and an interesting overview article https://iks.cs.ovgu.de/~elkner/s11/rmmount.html.

Personally I'm only affected when using removable USB storage, and I can live with the solution of restarting hal in that case.

I must say that one of the nice features of the Dell Precision design is the availability of legacy PS/2 connectors and those seem to work without problems on OpenIndiana which is a big help for me in the case of keyboard/mouse ...

Regards,
David Stes