[oi-dev] What changed between glib versions?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 31 15:58:00 UTC 2022

We now know which glib versions allow USB automounts and which fail
to do so.  The question is: what has changed between these versions?
The bug itself is probably not in glib at all, but knowing what code
has changed would at least put us on the right track.

In the process of doing an automount, hal calls the function
g_io_channel_read_line() within glib.  That function in turn calls the
function g_io_channel_read_line_backend() to do the actual work.

The function g_io_channel_read_line_backend() in turn calls the
function g_io_channel_fill_buffer().

Any change in any of these functions is suspect.  As far as I can tell
by reading the code, these functions are behaving as documented.
However, they may no longer be compatible with the operation expected
by hal.  The compiler, or optimizer, may also be responsible.