[oi-dev] SUnit and gmake test on OpenIndiana

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Tue Nov 1 15:35:08 UTC 2022

Setting

  COMPONENT_TEST_CMD

to a script which start squeak and runs the SUnit test suite seems to work.

However the oi-userland framework seems to implicitely assume that

   gmake test

triggers an automatic build (there is a dependency  .tested : .built )

   gmake build

and then run the tests from the BUILD_DIR.

For OpenSmalltalk this works, but for Squeak it cannot find its plugin directory when started from the build directory to load loadable plugin modules.

So for Squeak as a workaround it is still necessary to run

   gmake install

to stage the plugins to the prototype area from where they can be loaded.

The test target in the oi-userland framework is not so well documented, and I find it somewhat hard to see how this is used.

I think (and maybe should document this somewhere) that the usual approach is:

   gmake build
   gmake test

then see whether there are any differences

Then finally

    gmake install
    gmake publish

However in the case of Squeak the 'gmake install' should be done before the 'gmake test'.

That is not how the make-rules seem to be set up.

Regards,
David Stes