[oi-dev] FLAG-DAY: We started to obsolete python 2.7 and 3.5

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Thu Sep 29 12:24:51 UTC 2022

Hi,

Currently we provide Python versions 2.7, 3.5, 3.7, and 3.9 for
OpenIndiana, while version 3.9 is the default version.

Both Python 2.7 and 3.5 are no longer supported for two or almost three
years now respectively - see
https://devguide.python.org/versions/#versions for details, so we
started to obsolete them.  Since there are many related packages that
needs to be rebuilt to get python 2.7 and 3.5 obsoleted, this transition
is expected to take long time (probably weeks, maybe months).

There are basically two sets of related packages:

#1 software that uses python (e.g. gimp), and
#2 packages that provide some enhancement to python; these are usually
   python modules, for example cherrypy.

For #1 we just need to rebuild packages that require python 2.7 or 3.5
so they start to require either python 3.7, or python 3.9.  Volunteers
are welcome!

For #2 the situation is a bit more complex.  The name of all packages in
this set is starting with 'library/python'.  There is usually a basic
package (e.g. library/python/cherrypy) and few version specific packages
(e.g. library/python/cherrypy-35, library/python/cherrypy-37,
library/python/cherrypy-39).  Another example is library/python/pycups
and its library/python/pycups-27 and library/python/pycups-35.

For such packages we will slowly obsolete their -27 and -35 variants.
In a case there is neither -37 nor -39 variant already available, nor it
is needed for some other package, we will end up with all package
variants obsoleted.  If this happens, then in addition to obsolete of
both -27 and -35 we will obsolete the base package too.

For example, cherrypy.  There are already -35, -37, and -39 variants.
We will obsolete the -35 variant and both -37 and -39 will be kept, so
we will keep the basic library/python/cherrypy too.

When looking at pycups, we will obsolete both -27 and -35 variants.
Let's assume there is currently no other package that needs pycups, so
we would end with orphaned library/python/pycups, so we will obsolete
the library/python/pycups package too.

Based on the rule above we already obsoleted following packages
recently:

library/python/augeas
library/python/backports.shutil_get_terminal_size
library/python/backports.tempfile
library/python/cheetah
library/python/click
library/python/cssutils
library/python/cython
library/python/dulwich
library/python/geoip
library/python/elixir
library/python/import-profiler
library/python/kafka-python
library/python/livereload
library/python/m2crypto
library/python/mkdocs-bootstrap
library/python/mkdocs-bootswatch
library/python/mkdocs
library/python/netaddr
library/python/netifaces
library/python/numpy
library/python/pygtksourceview
library/python/pymongo
library/python/pyorbit
library/python/pyrex
library/python/pyro
library/python/python-ldap
library/python/python-memcached
library/python/python-mysql
library/python/python-notify
library/python/python-sexy
library/python/pywbem
library/python/scientific-py
library/python/sqlalchemy
library/python/typing
library/python/unittest2

Here is a list of packages that could get possibly obsoleted soon:

library/python/backport_abc
library/python/backports.functools_lru_cache
library/python/backports.ssl_match_hostname
library/python/colorama
library/python/decorator
library/python/enum
library/python/flamegraph
library/python/funcsigs
library/python/ipaddress
library/python/ipython
library/python/ipython_genutils
library/python/notify2
library/python/pickleshare
library/python/prompt-toolkit
library/python/pyatspi2
library/python/pycups
library/python/pygobject
library/python/pygtk2
library/python/python-compizconfig
library/python/python-xdg
library/python/python-xlib
library/python/rbtools
library/python/simplegeneric
library/python/traitlets

If you need any package from these lists then please create a pull
request (see https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pulls) to get
the package back and built for python 3.7 and/or 3.9 (in a case it is on
the first list of already obsoleted packages), or either let us know or
create a pull request to rebuild the package for python 3.7 and/or 3.9
(if it is on the second list of packages we could possibly obsolete).

Any help with this task is very welcome (for example pull requests to
get software in set #1 rebuilt).

Please note that support for building python modules for python 2.7 and
3.5 was already dropped from oi-userland.

Thank you.