[oi-dev] FLAG-DAY: We started to obsolete python 2.7 and 3.5

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 14:18:01 UTC 2022

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 4:00 PM Marcel Telka <marcel at telka.sk> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 03:18:29PM +0200, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> > I do not understand the need for obsoleting the entire package and
> removing
> > all the files instead of updating on the go.
> >
> > Could you explain the motivation?
>
> There is no particular need.  It is just simpler to obsolete than to
> update.  And since there is no known consumer, then the obsoletion is
> the obvious option chosen.

We could define some rules or information depending on the nature of the
package to mark which dependencies are expected.
Some python modules have been added for the sake of resolving a dependency
while others have no consumer in userland but are expected to be installed
as "standalone" and consumed by users directly.

Also I am not sure I understood which type of dependencies are considered
here:
- resolved within userland either directly or added explicitly in the
manifest
- build requirements
- dependencies detected by pipdeptree (which are a superset of what
pkg/userland detects)

I just want to make sure that we do not miss some border effects.

> > To me this seems a bit of overhead, like removing the mkdocs, cython,
> numpy
> > packages completely from the tree instead of updating them.
>
> Feel free to create PRs to get them back.
>
> > We therefore lose track of what was in the tree and people may start from
> > scratch all over again.
> >
> > Maybe you intend to provide some level of automation later?
>
> Maybe.  If I find it easy to do I'll do so, but I've no immediate plan
> to do so.
>
> > An earlier heads-up before starting to remove everything could have been
> > nice to have a chance to update a few components in advance and avoid the
> > mumbo-jumbo.
>
> Sorry.  I try to do my best.  Nothing is perfect.
>
> Anyway, an earlier update/rebuild of those packages for non-EOLed python
> would be nice from you before you left them fall out of support and be
> surprised that they are disappearing.
>
> Sorry, talking is easy.
>

> Thank you.
>
> --