[oi-dev] FLAG-DAY: We started to obsolete python 2.7 and 3.5

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 14:36:15 UTC 2022

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 4:30 PM Marcel Telka <marcel at telka.sk> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 04:18:01PM +0200, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> > We could define some rules or information depending on the nature of the
> > package to mark which dependencies are expected.
> > Some python modules have been added for the sake of resolving a
> dependency
> > while others have no consumer in userland but are expected to be
> installed
> > as "standalone" and consumed by users directly.
> >
> > Also I am not sure I understood which type of dependencies are considered
> > here:
> > - resolved within userland either directly or added explicitly in the
> > manifest
> > - build requirements
> > - dependencies detected by pipdeptree (which are a superset of what
> > pkg/userland detects)
> >
> > I just want to make sure that we do not miss some border effects.
>
> Okay, I'll stop to obsolete more python related packages and leave it as
> it is for now so everybody have a chance to add back packages that were
> obsoleted, but they are needed for any reason.

I am not asking you to stop anything at all, I am just asking questions to
understand if this will not bite us back at some point.

If you feel that you have everything covered then it is fine by me.
Seeing the stream of obsoletions without warning was quite surprising and
raised a few questions.

You know how you want to handle things, but this is maybe less clear to
others.
At least maybe some indications on how to add the packages back and make
sure there is no mistake or loss of consistency with the location/naming
etc..

Kind regards,

Aurélien

> --