[oi-dev] GCC rebuilds

Thomas Wagner tom-oi-dev at tom.bn-ulm.de
Tue Aug 1 16:28:07 UTC 2023

On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 05:09:26PM +0200, Marcel Telka wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2023 at 02:38:32PM +0100, Peter Tribble wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 6:41 AM Stephan Althaus <
> > Stephan.Althaus at duedinghausen.eu> wrote:
> > > We are stumbling over some faults with regard to the GCC Version change.
> >
> > Perhaps this would be an opportune moment to reconsider the way that
> > libstdc++
> > (and generally the whole gcc/g++ runtime) is packaged, and to go for the
> > obvious
> > and supported route of only shipping one copy of the runtime - the one
> > corresponding to
> > the latest version of the compiler that you ship (gcc11 ?), and putting it
> > directly in
> > /usr/lib.
>
> The obvious question now is:
> Why it was not done that way since beginning?

Placing a library in /usr/lib/ that caused version incompatibilties in the past
and most likely will continue to do so every now an then is not the best idea.
Despite the promised compatibility in newer versions of the runtime libs.
In rare cases we've seen binaries compiled with an old gcc version not being
compatible with the latest gcc runtime libs. Especially for C++.

Therefore the SFE packaging project points libs and binaries to a
versioned directory to get the version of runtime libs loaded they have
been compiled with.
e.g. binaries look first in /usr/gcc-sfe/4.9/lib and /usr/gcc-sfe/11/lib
for the runtime libs in an early stage.

Regards
Thomas