[oi-dev] JDK builds and crypto

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:49:56 UTC 2023

As noted on IRC, there might be issues with JDK and crypto on OpenIndiana.

The issue is that on Solaris/illumos (and only there) the jdk can offload
crypto to
the OS using the SunPKCS11 provider. That doesn't always work correctly,
there's
a flag:

-Dsun.security.pkcs11.enable-solaris=false

that just disables it so you should get the same behaviour as other
platforms.

In Tribblix I disable (in .../conf/security/sunpkcs11-solaris.cfg) the bits
that I know
don't work:

https://github.com/tribblix/build/blob/master/patches/sunpkcs11-solaris.cfg.patch

In OmniOS I think they change the preference order:

https://github.com/omniosorg/omnios-build/blob/master/build/openjdk17/patches/security-pkcs11.patch

I suggest you'll need to do one of those for the OI jdk builds too.

--
-Peter Tribble