[oi-dev] GDL chokes on semaphore (GraphicsMagick)

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon Feb 6 11:05:41 UTC 2023

On 05/02/2023 23:23, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> Am 03.02.23 um 14:25 schrieb Udo Grabowski (IMK):

>>> With almost 100% certainty this is because the dependent program has
>>> not invoked
>>> InitializeMagick() before using other GraphicsMagick APIs. It is
>>> acceptable to
>>> invoke this function any number of times and InitializeMagick(NULL)
>>> is OK for
>>> dynamically linked programs.
>>>
>>> A very long time ago (since 1.3.8 in 2010) GraphicsMagick
>>> initialization was
>>> changed to require InitializeMagick() to be invoked first. Before it
>>> was just
>>> recommended.
>>>
>>> OpenIndiana recently stepped forward from using a very old version of
>>> GraphicsMagick, so that may be what provoked this issue.
>>
>> Indeed, the problem seems to be exactly that and has been fixed in the
>> 1.0.2
>> branch in 2019 with this commit:
>>
>> <https://github.com/gnudatalanguage/gdl/commit/d4045d4469f3c8fae435a4bc6b182ac8417b8461#diff-fee07a0c71823f10358bdf47d478390d>
>>
>> GNU Data Language moved from sourceforge to github:
>> <https://github.com/gnudatalanguage/gdl>
>>
> I have updated several packages related to gdl and this package itself
> today.
> We don't seem to have many interested people in scientific use anymore.
> I recommend that someone interested will take care for these packages in
> the future.
> Eg. there hasn't been a release of plplot in several years, resulting in
> the optional dependency on an outdated qhull version (2015).
> But there seem to be many merged commits still for plplot. Maybe they
> need some friendly works to create a new release that supports qhull as
> of 2020.
> Furthermore gdl could make use of several small packages we don't have
> yet (I have added proj because turning it off for gdl didn't work).
> We need someone with more interest in this area than me.

Thanks a lot, that works now. Unfortunately, I'm neither a C or C++
programmer, so I'm just hacking and googleing here or there until it works,
I've just wrestled with an old GDL 0.9.8 and nearly got it just to the
final linker step (where  it failed by some namespace issues). As a
scientist, my daily work horses are (of course) Fortran 90, IDL
(here as GDL) for the plotting, and Perl for hacking all the ugly
management stuff. As Python for the younger staff seems to be important
(and I still don't know why...), I also got a Sun Studio CC  compiled numpy
running under (old) Python, which seems to be currently missing (and I guess
that the hurdles I stumbled over are still there...). So I can test stuff
and give some hints here or there, but have no capacity to take over
whole packages and their dependencies. As I'm currently updating all
our stuff to current Hipster, there may will be the one or other
package to build that can also be useful for OI. Maybe I should set up
my own package depot for that stuff, so that integration into OI
could be readily done from there.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php