[oi-dev] Emacs has a bad font

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Wed Nov 8 16:44:42 UTC 2023

Am 08.11.23 um 16:36 schrieb Gary Mills:
> I recently did an OI upgrade, on one of my systems, from 20220928 to
> 20231107 (more than a year).  Everthing worked normally afterwards
> except for emacs.  It has a peculiar font, compared to MATE-terminal.
> The font appears to be too thin.  I'm using the same font size as
> before, 10 point.  What could the matter be?

If you are using the gtk variant of emacs then it relies on pango for
font rendering and layout which in case has dropped support for older
font types a couple of months ago.
So your problem might be that you are trying to use an unsupported (by
pango) font type and thus rendering results look ugly.
You might solve this be choosing a font of a supported font type, eg. a
truetype font.

Regards,
Andreas