[oi-dev] Emacs has a bad font

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 19:10:40 UTC 2023

As far as I can tell, the "system" font for mate terminal and such is:
"DejaVu Sans Mono", or
-misc-dejavu sans mono-medium-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-ascii-0

Based on what I see with xfontsel, it looks like emacs may be using:
-misc-dejavu sans light-extralight-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-ascii-0

I tried playing with the options/Set Default Font in emacs.
I'm not sure why, but emacs shows a lot less than xlsfonts does.

Here's what I have (from "save options") in both builds.
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:family "DejaVu Sans Mono" :foundry "PfEd" :slant
normal :weight normal :width normal :height 113)))))

There seems to be a change in either the fonts or the rendering, from
the older OI build to recent ones.
The examples shown by "xfontsel" look too light in some cases too.
I'd appreciate tips on how to track down this problem.

Thanks