[oi-dev] phasing out openssl 1.0.2 (mostly)

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Feb 24 21:46:10 UTC 2024

On 2/24/24 10:23, Marcel Telka wrote:
>> in any case. probably more tricky is the system stuff like wpa.
>
> The wpa package comes from illumos-gate.  I'm not sure if it supports
> newer OpenSSL than 1.0 out of the box.  If not then it should be fixed
> there.  If it does, then maybe we need to adjust our
> components/openindiana/illumos-gate/Makefile somehow.  Again, see above
> (sit down, etc.).

The WPA supplicant code in illumos is an ancient copy of the code originally
from https://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/ and would be desperately in need of an
update if anyone cared about secure or modern Wifi authentication on illumos.

https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/tree/master/usr/src/cmd/cmd-inet/usr.lib/wpad
doesn't look like it's been updated to a new version since OpenSolaris,
which shipped version 0.2.5 - you can see how much has changed between
that and the latest 2.10 release at:
https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/wpa_supplicant/ChangeLog

You can see one of the more recent items in that ChangeLog is:
	* added support for using OpenSSL 3.0

	-alan-