[oi-dev] Memory use with Firefox

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Thu Jan 4 19:36:05 UTC 2024

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 08:54, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Why are there so many firefox processes?  I was expecting one process
> per tab.  Clearly there are many more.  Why do some of the processes
> have so many threads?  How much memory does firefox want?

Firefox increasingly uses multiple processes as a measure of isolation
between different fault and security domains; if there is a
vulnerability or a bug in some code, it need not impact all the other
tabs necessarily.

You can ask Firefox for more information about the processes it has
started by entering "about:processes" and "about:memory" into the URL
bar.  I believe the process ID is in parentheses on each line in the
list that represents a process.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow