[oi-dev] Heads-Up: Obsoletion of 39 old packages

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Jan 9 17:14:39 UTC 2024

On 1/9/24 09:07, Marcel Telka wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 08:41:14AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> A few are open source - for instance, I could point you to the sources for
>> x11/network/x11-network-proxies - but no one uses that in a world where
>> ssh X11-Forwarding is prevalent, which is why I removed that package from
>> Solaris and declared the upstream sources unmaintained and suggested that
>> distros remove them.
>
> Thanks for insights.  This caused I looked closer at x11/network/rstart
> which is still required by mate_install and I noticed it is deprecated
> too, so I created https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/15571 .

I don't know why it ever would have depended on rstart - an obscure method
to start X apps remotely in the days before ssh, but it shouldn't any more.

https://lore.kernel.org/distributions/1ea25603-171c-062e-bc02-bcdfc3acd01a@oracle.com/T/#u
is the advice I gave distros last year on unmaintained packages from X.Org.

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris