[oi-dev] Memory use with Firefox

John D Groenveld groenveld at acm.org
Fri Jan 12 20:24:59 UTC 2024

In message <ZaBaceDJ-_wvMR5_ at imap.fastmail.com>, Gary Mills writes:
>That sounds like cnn.com to me.

The media companies in .IN are doing their best to convince me
that the tin-foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists are correct that
they are not in the business of capturing my eyeballs to deliver
advertisements but actually to capture my CPU by delivering
Javascript to mine bitcoins, solve CAPTCHAs or perform other useful
work.

Modern versions of Firefox handle Control-C and on restart will
reload your tabs.

Another defense is to confine your browsing to VMs which you can
snapshot, pause, rollback, destroy, etc.
Kudos to the devs for maintaining pkg://openindiana.org/system/virtualbox

As Michael Conrad's character used to say in the Hill Street Blues
TV show: "Let's be careful out there."

John
groenveld at acm.org