[oi-dev] OI Mate clock-applet crashes

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Mon Mar 4 16:38:58 UTC 2024

On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 02:36:37PM +0100, Andreas Wacknitz via oi-dev wrote:
> Am 03.03.24 um 14:13 schrieb Stephan Althaus:
> > $ /usr/libexec/mate/clock-applet
> >
> > ** (clock-applet:9178): WARNING **: 13:29:39.524: Call can set time
> > zone dbus method:
> > GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> > org.mate.SettingsDaemon.DateTimeMechanism was not provided by any
> > .service files
> >
> > (clock-applet:9178): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:29:39.526: Negative content
> > width -9 (allocation 1, extents 5x5) while allocating gadget (node
> > button, owner GtkToggleButton)
> > terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
> >   what():  Unable to read configuration
> > Abort (core dumped)
> >
> Please create a fresh account and try with it whether you'll get similar
> results. It may be you personal configuration forcing this error.

Yes, I agree.  There is possibly a remnant from older MATE in your
configuration that is no longer supported or valid in recent MATE 1.28.

If that's the case then there are few possible options:

- it is a bug in MATE, so it should be reported upstream,
- there is some (official) upgrade path from older MATE and we didn't
  follow that,
- MATE does not support upgrades between versions without the user's
  config cleanup.

Either way, this should be analyzed deeper and root caused.