[OpenIndiana-discuss] Our first major milestone - build 146 ISO

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 22:12:42 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Just in case you missed it, we've produced our first major milestone - a non-redistributable test ISO of build 146!

Onno Molenkamp conducted the successful build with a set of highly polished scripts he has developed, which include an impressive chroot system for building JDS cleanly. Andrzej Szeszo put together the ISO with distro constructor.

We've all put in a lot of hours this past month figuring out how the OpenSolaris distribution is built and constructed, and we're finally starting to get on top of things. Moving forward we can streamline development in a way that distributes and shares work, avoids duplicated efforts, ensures the whole process is documented so anyone can get involved, and ensure the process is as automated as possible.

The next step is our first official release, which will consist of stripping out the Sun/Oracle branding, building the missing components (vpanels/i18n), some testing/bug fixing, and popping the closed/unobtainable bits we've had to obtain from snv_134 into our own pkg repo (eg a pkg.openindiana.org/legacy area) until such time as we can replace them. (Things like libm).

Then we'll be able to announce with an actual downloadable usable ISO and IPS package server people can update their OpenSolaris with. I imagine this will cause quite a stir, and get us an enormous amount of attention!

So congratulations to everyone and I believe Onno deserves a big big thanks for developing the impressive scripts used to produce the milestone build.

I'll be moving a lot of the discussion to the mailing lists so things are more formally conducted rather than informally on IRC.

Great work everyone - the future seems very bright indeed.

Cheers,

Alasdair