[OpenIndiana-discuss] Our position within the Illumosphere

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 22:08:21 UTC 2010

On 25 Aug 2010, at 02:35, Tom Kranz wrote:

> First of all - impressive work everyone, I'm amazed at the progress
> that's been made.

:)

> I'm pretty much in complete agreement with everything you've said,
> Alasdair. As a brand Illumos strikes me as weak, and as it's supposed to
> be a 'core' and not a distribution, I don't see the reasoning for tying
> a distribution in to it.
>
> If they wanted to do that, surely they'd just use Nexenta? Or do they
> want a 'reference distribution' to avoid it looking like this is just a
> repeat of OpenSolaris, with the Nexenta guys replacing Oracle? ;-) In
> which case, why announce it as just ON and not a full distribution right
> from the get-go?
>
> I think it makes a lot of sense to keep a separate 'identity' - there's
> a lot of good work that's been going on from people like Joerg, and I
> think it'll be easier to gather existing distros around Illumos if
> there's no hint of a 'favoured' distribution.

Yes, that sounds sensible.

> Not that anyone has much of a real choice now anyway .....
>
> I'd be interested to hear if they've asked any of the established
> distros (like Schillix) to also be sub-projects?

I don't think so - reading between the lines I think Garrett is quite wary of Joerg and how difficult he can be.

> And I think you definitely should be on the Illumos admin council. If
> nothing else you deserve more recognition for stepping up and making
> stuff happen - but I think it'd also give the project a great way to
> exert influence over Illumos' decisions. I think that model (of having
> key people from each distro that uses the Illumos core on their admin
> council) is the best way to balance diverse needs from downstream
> distros against what they want to put into Illumos - I'm thinking
> specifically of contentious new features like IPS (ick) or AI (gah).

Thanks - I am not sure I have time to be on the Illumos admin council, but we should represent our interests there so I'll think it over.

> I also think OpenIndiana is a great name, and if Oracle do complain,
> think of all the publicity ;-)

Oddly I thought the same thing :P If Oracle did go after us it would be yet another huge PR blunder for them and great press for us.

> You could even have a logo that was of Indy's had, in the Red Hat style
> - - go for the high score and get sued by Oracle, Red Hat *and* LucasArts
> at the same time ;-)

lol - that might be pushing it a bit ;)

Alasdair