[OpenIndiana-discuss] Our position within the Illumosphere

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 22:16:57 UTC 2010

Hi George,

On 25 Aug 2010, at 10:16, George Shepherd wrote:

> First of all congratulations to all the active members on this first
> milestone - Fabulous.
>
> It is clearly important to retain the identity of this project particularly
> in the light of the recent somewhat irrational hand-wringing about IPS
> and the tendency to want to diverge rapidly from S11express train.
> (When that source does release the merge will be a busy time indeed).

Yes. It does concern me that Garrett is operating a bit too unilaterally without consulting those who might wish to make use of his project.

> I don't feel Illumos is clear branding, it sounds cute as is the logo but
> Illumos is not clearly connected to the brand existing users know.

Totally agree - it seems completely unrelated.

> Equally I'm not overly enamoured of OpenIndiana. the Open bit is right, IMHO
> Indiana is a little hokey, it always was (as a codename for OpenSolaris' first
> public binary distribution and code drop).

Indiana is quite hard to type, and very American. But OpenIndiana is quite catchy at least.

> I think we could use a drop-dead gorgeous graphical logo and a sexier name
> but any name needs to be ours and not related to or dictated by Illumos.
> OpenSunrise SolarFlare OpenCorona uhmmmm ..... whatever.
> That however is not a hurdle we want to put between us and getting
> out there - OpenIndiana is plenty good enough and logos can be sexed up
> on the fly.

Agreed. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on the naming front, if we are to rename it has to be done ASAP. So speak now or forever hold your peace.

> I agree with your proposed stance Alasdair.

Glad it passes the sanity check!

Cheers,

Alasdair