[OpenIndiana-discuss] Text Installer creates rpool1

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:01:42 UTC 2010

I tried the OI Build147 text installer for the first time, and ended up
with rpool1 instead of the expected rpool.

Is this normal ?

The disks had an existing pool, but I selected use whole disk and
overwrite. I have done this many times with OpenSolaris versions and
never encountered it before.
Overall the text install didn't help my problem, since it offeres no
static network setup.

The other headache was getting static ip's setup.
The "old way" with hostname.intf etc. produced a interface to nowhere.

This is what triggered the reinstall.
The ipadm method did work, once I figured out what was needed.

The storage box has 6xGb and 2x10Gb nics, so plenty to configure.

One difference I found from dev-134 is it doesn't play well with an ip
on the same subnet on two different interfaces.
If one is down, the other can't pass packets either.

Other than that, it has been stable and performing ok during testing
with Intel SSD's for logs and 32x Seagate 2Tb SAS drives.

I have Fault Management working nicely with net-snmp, and even an old
bmc driver from the last SE released talking to the IPMI card. It didn't
seem to work through to FM though. I need to get a build/development
environment before I can follow that up.
I will also have a poke around in SE2011 and see if it has any
improvements in this area I can borrow.