[OpenIndiana-discuss] livecd zpool import -fR /a xpool but no files

Guy Woolley guy.woolley at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 1 18:38:34 UTC 2010

  Calum,
            Is your procedure:

  zpool import -f -R /a rpool

     zfs set mountpoint=/b rpool/ROOT/openindiana

     zfs mount rpool/ROOT/openindiana

     cat /a/b/etc/passwd

equivalent to the following that works for me from live USB stick (with
pfexec or root)

zpool import -f -R /a rpool

beadm list

Choose the installed BE name (which should appear in the list) and then

beadm mount <BE name> /a

Then

cat /a/a/etc/passwd

behaves as you describe (i.e. I can see my username at the end of the
file), whereas

cat /etc/passwd

gives "jack" as the Default user.

Likewise I can see other folder/files in the installed filesystem from /a/a

When done,

beadm unmount <BE name>

Have I missed anything important ? When I reboot my installed OI seems
fine.

I had to do this for real once when I started with OI in October because
of issues with my Nvidia graphics card and the Solaris Nvidia driver
(buggy).

Cheers
Guy