[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any have a ready made script to run from cron for snapshots

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Dec 5 22:12:05 UTC 2010

Sriram Narayanan <sriram at belenix.org> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Before there was a time slider, people must have run snapshots from
>> cron or something similar.
>>
>> Since in 3 tries at new installs, using different media each time has
>> resulted in a useless crippled time slider I wondered if any of you
>> still have or use some kind of cron driven scripting for snapshots.
>>
>> I don't want to waste anymore time dinking around with timeslider
>> until there is a more robust package.
>>
>> If any of you have such a script,  would you mind posting it?
>>
>> I'd sooner have an example as just script it up from scratch.
>
> Please see if this helps:
> http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/zfs_automatic_snapshots_now_with

Wow... pretty interesting but seems not ready for prime time just yet.

Are you using it?... If you scroll down the page a ways you find that
the author has been yet gotten things working in the case of failure
and in his words:

  Finally, I'm trying hard to do the right thing in the face of
  failure. The service will move to maintenance should a backup fail
  for any reason, and the cron job should be removed in that case

Where as if it were just a simple cron job running a less grand scheme
it would just run again next time... so in the case of things like
momentary los of network or whatever the job wouldn't get retired
completely.

I was thinking more of plain scripting and cron.  I can do that my
self but it will take `some' amount of time.  I just thought maybe
someone else had done something I could use and change for my usage.

However the work you pointed too looks like it will be a very nice
tool once some of the wrinkles are ironed out.