[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana state

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Dec 13 14:27:02 UTC 2010

Deano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to help with some work on the OI platform, I'm using it
> successfully on several different machines and am very impressed.
>
> However one serious problem I've hit so far, is that the guide to compiling
> things doesn't actually work very well. IO, Illumos, ONNV, JDS, Sunstudio,
> GCC 3, GCC 4 and so on. Each seem to have an arcane list of commands to
> follow and even then it doesn't work. I.e. I've got Illumos to compile but
> the install part (onu?) fails completely on mine.
>
> If someone who knows what it takes to make a full build environment for
> Illumos and OpenIndiana, could make an IPS package, that would I expect get
> some more interest in helping out. At the moment, it is just so damn hard to
> get started if you come from a Linux/Windows dev environment, that I suspect
> most people give up and go work on an easier to help project.

That's partially inherited from OpenSolaris and Solaris before it.

No one at Sun ever built all the consolidations - each was done by its own
team and while we tried to have some coordination on things like a common
compiler version, we never worried about all the other details, and certainly
never designed a "make World" process or unified set of required packages
to build them all.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com