[OpenIndiana-discuss] Suggestions for SATA HBAs

William David OpenIndiana oilists at biosystems.ath.cx
Tue Dec 14 04:03:34 UTC 2010

I use  one cheap pci controller sata sil 3114 4 ports on my storage  and is no so bad for a 14U$ card but this controller is slow not pass than  26 MB / s  on a scrub and sata 150  no NCQ is a is a simple server for a backup server

A change a motherboard for one ecs a780 2 gb ram and and 5000+ CPU  and on board nvidia sata, speed surprise me. On 4 drivers seagate sata 1500 gb 7200.11 on zraid 1  a speeds up to 130MB/s  on scrub 3TB

On my second server a try put one better controller on a Asus crosshair 1 a try put  two of this LSI SAS3442E-R a found a article talking of that controller and sounds interesting good Cost for a 8 ports card i try this configuration 12 drives on raidz2 and zip on 2 x 32 gb sad corsairbextreme x32 , 1 cache 32 gb ssd corsair extreme x32 and 1  spare drive

http://jmlittle.blogspot.com/2008/06/recommended-disk-controllers-for-zfs.html

If you can spend on better card buy it and be happy. I'm wrong on thinking a high cost card is better than single card on non ultra mega raid cache.

--
<----.      Of course it runs                William David Armstrong