[OpenIndiana-discuss] Nvidia driver

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 18:40:54 UTC 2010

  Hi,

Openindiana started to report many errors relating to my Nvidia 8600GTS
graphics card, so I replaced it with an Nvidia GT200 card. I also took
this as an opportunity to re-organise my disk storage by utiltising
different controllers.

After swapping the card and re-installing OpenIndiana, performing a
normal install, the screen when blank and then my computer rebooted
after 10-15 minutes. If at boot I selected the vesa display, I could
access the display and the installation proceeded normally.

After getting a working system, I then attempted to install the latest
Nvidia driver which also caused the screen to blank. I tried booting to
single user by adding -s to the kernel line in grub, this failed to work
the screen also went blank.

Eventually I just re-installed OpenIndiana (my OS and DATA are
completely seperate) and then tried the Nvidia driver which has been
tested to work with OpenIndiana according to the Wiki. Again, the screen
goes blank it is not possible to boot in single user.

As a suggestion, as part of the standard installation of OpenIndiana,
can an additional text only boot option be provided as standard.

Can you please include a the latest Nvidia driver in build 148.