[OpenIndiana-discuss] Poor text antialiasing behaviour in Firefox

Dave Koelmeyer davekoelmeyer at me.com
Sun Dec 19 13:11:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

I posted this over on OpenSolaris.org, but FWIW:

This has always bugged me for as long as I can remember, and I wonder if
anyone knows why.

Firefox 3.6.8 in Ubuntu:

http://www.davekoelmeyer.co.nz/docs/Ubuntu1004Firefox368.png

All headings and text are antialised, and page appears fine.

Now, compare with the same page in Firefox 3.6.12 on
OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana:

http://www.davekoelmeyer.co.nz/docs/oi_147Firefox3612.png

Most text elements by comparison are pretty jagged, but the headings are
particularly ugly.

Interestingly, this is the same page, but zoomed in two increments:

http://www.davekoelmeyer.co.nz/docs/oi_147Firefox3612-zoomed.png

Note that main heading ("DATAZUUL") is now displaying with nicely
antialiased edges.

All the above examples are on stock-standard installs of Firefox, with
fonts settings left at defaults.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Dave