[OpenIndiana-discuss] time-slider is snapshotting swap and dump after upgrading to oi_147

Jeremy Thornhill jeremy.thornhill at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 15:27:02 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Albert Lee <trisk at opensolaris.org> wrote:

> Can you check crontab -e as root and ensure nothing related to
> auto-snapshot is still present?

Albert,

I double checked, and nothing is in there. I had already disabled this one:

#5,20,35,50 * * * * /usr/lib/time-slider-cleanup -y

That binary isn't even there any more which was causing the job to
fail (which is how I realized it should be disabled).

Further info: I enabled the debug property on the time-slider service
in hopes of seeing more. Curiously enough I see the following:

Dec 18 15:33:18 coltrane time-sliderd: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] Auto
excluding rpool/dump volume
Dec 18 15:33:18 coltrane time-sliderd: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] Auto
excluding rpool/swap volume

I looked at the python code in /usr/share/time-slider/lib/time_slider/
and this is only related to the setting of the com.sun:auto-snapshot
property on volumes. I'll try and dig around a bit more to see why
that property seems to be ignored for me.

FWIW I've created an issue for this http://www.illumos.org/issues/537
and if I find any useful info I'll post it there. If nobody else is
seeing this then it's got to be something wonky related to my upgrade
path, but I don't think there's anything too esoteric about how I got
to OI. The issue persists in 148, as well; the time-slider code
doesn't look like it's been updated.

Jeremy