[OpenIndiana-discuss] General question about motherboards

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Tue Dec 21 21:42:55 UTC 2010

Harry,

As the discussion has apparently opened up to Intel chips, let me weigh in. I claim no comprehensive knowledge of the state of the art, but did quite a bit of research at the point of making some purchase decisions, now 2+ yrs ago.

I've been running - with great success, Oi on a GigaByte GA-DQ6-X38T. Newer versions of these boards, in the midrange, are relatively inexpensive, give you three channels of memory, and should be more than serviceable. CPU is an Intel Q6600. Love it.

Major attraction of the GB boards is that everything's tweakable. I've gotten settings working such that the CPU is running at 3.4 GHz, and memory at 1600. Has been really reliable, and still runs relatively cool.

On the CPU side, I liked reports of it's being over-clockable, and it's lived up to its reputation. In addition, it has the SSE3 features we were looking for re virtualization. It's a bit more power-hungry than newer generations...

Caveats:
- Some have reported problems with the RealTek Gigabit ethernet ports under Oi; I haven't seen any.
- Radeon 3D driver support for Oi (may or may not apply to you): I've been told 'no time soon'. I can simply change cards if this ever matters; are you looking at mobos with on-board Radeon?

this motherboard is only a two-channel memory, but newer models have three.

Have fun! Lou