[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana book

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Dec 30 20:43:43 UTC 2010

On 12/30/10 11:58 AM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
> If I could choose I would probably use the webgui that comes with FreeNAS
> (freenas.org). I haven't looked into napp-it but I remember the confusion I had
> when I read in the OpenSolaris manual pages and the OpenSolaris Bible about the
> webmin tools and couldn't find it in the OS.
>
> It turned out that it wasn't included in the OpenSolaris, only on
> Solaris/Nevada. So my question was since the Oracle thing and all, if it has
> been reinstated with the OpenIndiana distros.
>
> I tried installing the webmin packages by ripping them off of the Nevada install
> CD. I ended up corrupting the OS in the process making it unbootable, so I
> wouldn't make such an attempt again unless I know it is safe to do so.

Sounds like you're confusing different things - webmin is an open source package
and is included in OpenSolaris & OpenIndiana.

The old web administration GUI (including the ZFS web gui) was not included in
OpenSolaris because it was encumbered and not freely redistributable - if Sun
couldn't get the license  to include it in OpenSolaris, I don't see how
OpenIndiana could get a license to include it.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com