[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI/Illumos HCL

MATTHEW WILBY matthewwilby at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 31 11:06:49 UTC 2010

Hi,

I know it's early days, but what's the possibility of getting an HCL (Hardware
Compatibility List) page setup on the OI website? This would give community
members a chance to provide information on what works and what does not, and
perhaps share experiences on how to fix/tune certain components specific to that
hardware.

With Openindianna moving away from the original Opensolaris code base sooner or
later the original HCL will start to become out of date. While I don't expect OI
to maintain a list of 'certified hardware' (yet) if the distribution is going to
penetrate production environments such a site would prove useful, rather than
the suck it and see approach at the moment. Might also take some of the load off
the bug submission etc.

For information, Opensolaris has been removed from the main Sun/Oracle HCLpage
(http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/) but is still accessiblehere
(http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/os/).

Just a thought.....

Happy new year.