[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some questions about OpenIndiana

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Fri Dec 31 12:23:20 UTC 2010

On 31 Dec 2010, at 00:32, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> I looked at Solaris Express 11, but one thing in the FAQ worries me
> related to not having access to bug fixes or updates unless I have a
> contract support with Oracle; is this actually the case?

I have S11 Express at work, no support contract for it, and it has not received any updates. So the answer seems to be "yes" for that :-(

> That once I install Solaris Express, should I want access to any
> updates, then I must get a contract support license? ($1000 per year
> for non oracle hardware)

Correct. Well, dunno about the exact cost, but you've got the right idea.

Also S11 Express cannot be used without a support contract unless it is basically for testing or development. (Annoyingly, using it for training is prohibited too.) Read Oracle's license agreement carefully for the exact list.

My personal opinion is that for non-Oracle hardware, you want to run the fork of Solaris taken by OpenIndiana and Illumos.

Cheers,

Chris